10 things to know and do about the MTHFR defect:
The latest question on everyone’s mind and in my inbox is “What do I do about the MTHFR defect?” This genetic defect causes problems with the victim’s detoxification abilities, causing chronic illness, fatigue and many-many neurological issues. To answer the MTHFR questions before they are asked again, I have constructed a simple checklist for you:
1. Repair the digestive system and optimize the friendly flora–treat candida/toxins that inhibit methylation.
2. Eat at least 1 cup or more of raw dark greens every day. Eat only hormone free, grass-fed meats, grass-fed butter and organic free-range eggs.
3. Get rid of folic acid supplements and avoid processed foods that have folic acid added.
4. Supplement with essential nutrients like methyl-B12, methyl-folate, TMG, N-acetylcysteine, riboflavin, curcumin, fish oil, Vitamins C, D, E, and probiotics.
5. Avoid taking high doses of niacin (vitamin B3), which can hinder methylation.
6. Remove mercury amalgam teeth fillings (see a biological dentist). Avoid aluminum in antiperspirants and cookware. Avoid exposure to chemicals like household cleaners etc. that either inhibit methylation or gobble up available methyls. AND never, ever take a mercury-laden flu shot or other mercury-made vaccine. (A lot of “mercury-free vaccines are merely “mercury-lite”…).
7. Test for MTHFR defect. If both MTHFR genes are mutated, advance carefully with methyl-B12 and methyl folate supplementation. Some patients do not tolerate high doses.
8. If no MTHFR mutation, measure homocysteine levels–if high, supplement with methylcobalamin, Vitamin B2 riboflavin, Vitamin B6 pyridoxine, and methylfolate.
9. Remove body toxins and heavy metals using liposomal glutathione, calcium EDTA, DMSA, IV glutathione (under physician supervision). Take cilantro in the a.m. and chlorella in the p.m.
10. Schedule weekly detox regimens of infrared sauna sessions, Epsom salt baths, bentonite clay baths and perform regular exercise that breaks a sweat.
Pay it forward
Do these things and live a healthier life, clear up brain fog, fight off depression and dementia, clear up skin problems, and enjoy many other wonderful “side-effects” of stewarding your earthly body. Oh, and teach your children to do the same.
I talk more about some of the neurological implications of the MTHFR defect in this book: